Wolves survive late Southampton fightback to maintain European bid with home win

Wolves he survived late Southampton fighting to continue their push for Europe.

Penalty for Raul Jimenez, Conor Coady’s first goal for Molineux in six years and Adam Traore’s injury were won 3-1.

James Ward-Prowse’s surprise shot bounced back to the Saints and Romain Perraud hit the ball just before Traore sealed the victory for his team-mates.

Bruno Lage’s team was not in the best position but it was enough to beat the Saints to be eighth in the Premier League.

He has just two points left to get to the top 6 while Southampton are close to reaching the seventh defeat of the season.

There was little division in the past and, after Lyanco led Rayan Ait-Nouri through his bar, Jose Sa shoved Perraud deep.

Yet it was a game that went aimlessly until half came to a very difficult end.

Only Manchester City have conceded less than 15 goals for Wolves this season but scoring is the biggest issue for their teammates.

Their pre-match 14-game streak shows punches but those with it added one to their list 36 minutes later, despite the need for VAR support.

A clear run by Daniel Podence saw the shooter find Jimenez and his shot was blocked by a ball running towards Ait-Nouri.

Jan Bednarek’s sloping problem washed the wings back and looked like open and closed, but footballer Michael Salisbury provided a corner.

VAR naturally intervened and delayed, Salisbury supervised his project to impose sanctions.

(Getty Photos)

It took four minutes but Jimenez – who won when the teams met at St Mary’s in September – went on to beat Fraser Forster for his fourth goal of the season.

Two minutes later, Sa retained the Wolves’ shot when he hit Mohammed Salisu’s head and, shortly after, Nathan Tella fired home.

The Saints responded well and Sa shot Salisu in the head while he was injured and the first half ended with Lage and Ralph Hasenhuttl talking verbally.

Instead of finding new strength, Southampton simply walked aimlessly through the break and eventually paid off.

Coady saw a head start when player Toti Gomes went missing, but the captain did not wait to make it 2-0 after 59 minutes with his first goal at home since 2016.

Ait-Nouri’s free-kick tried Forster to come but he was left when Max Kilman’s head swung around and he jumped from a tree.

Coady was there to get them involved and, after another VAR investigation, Wolves was able to celebrate.

It seemed like a barrier to his teammates but he came out sweating as Ward-Prowse cleverly fired a 30-yard free-kick with six minutes left.

The goal resulted in a great finish and Perraud’s header hit the bottom of the bar in the 89th minute.

But Southampton’s hopes of a return were dashed when striker Ait-Nouri jumped on Traore and rolled the ball over Forster in injury time.

Original Article reposted fromSource link

Disclaimer: The website autopost contents from credible news sources and we are not the original creators. If we Have added some content that belongs to you or your organization by mistake, We are sorry for that. We apologize for that and assure you that this won’t be repeated in future. If you are the rightful owner of the content used in our Website, please mail us with your Name, Organization Name, Contact Details, Copyright infringing URL and Copyright Proof (URL or Legal Document) aT spacksdigital @ gmail.com

I assure you that, I will remove the infringing content Within 48 Hours.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *