1) What excuse did General Aguiyi Ironsi give for overthrowing Alhaji Tafawa Balewa through a coup in 1963? The answer is corruption, but did we go into a recession? No
2) What excuse did the Northern military elements who killed Aguiyi Ironsi through a coup in 1966 give? The answers are nepotism and corruption, but did we go into recession? No
3) What excuse did General Murtala Muhammed give in 1975 for overthrowing Yakubu Gowon? The answer is corruption, but did we go into recession? No
4) What excuse did General Muhammadu Buhari give for overthrowing Alhaji Shehu Shagari in 1983? The answer is corruption, but did we go into recession? No
5) But in 1984 under General Buhari, we went into economic recession.
6) What excuse did General Ibrahim Babangida give for overthrowing Buhari in 1985? The answers were corruption and nationwide hunger because of the recession.
7) What excuse did Buka Suka Dimka and his boys give for trying to overthrow Babangida? The answer is corruption, but did we go into recession? No
Dimka’s coup was the last attempted coup in Nigeria, except for the one General Sani Abacha accused the likes of Olusegun Obasanjo, Oladipo Diya, Abdulkareem Adisa, and Shehu Musa Yar’adua for in 1997.
8) Fast-forward to 2015 before the elections, the President said he will destroy corruption before it destroys us, but now after 16months of fighting corruption, we are in a recession again. And it’s happening under the same man it happened in 1984.
So now you see that corruption didn’t just start in 1999 or 2010, it has been part of our Nigeria since 1960. So anyone and anybody telling you that the reason they can’t govern is because of corruption, tell them they are liars. Infact if you check our history very well, you will realise the same people shouting corruption now have served in one capacity or the other before in our governments since 1960.
Instead of trying to change the narrative, this government can do better by accepting responsibility of governance, and accepting that what we are going through right now is their making. The economic outlook of any nation is the responsibility of the government of the day.
When President Barack Obama was inaugurated in 2009, the automobile industry was dying and the nation was owing 6trillion dollars. Yet, he bailed out the industry to make sure Americans don’t lose jobs.
God has blessed this nation with intelligent citizens, we have Nigerians who can do better than the man heading our economic team. We have Dr Okonjo Iweala, Dr Oby Ezekwesili, Prof Charles Soludo, Prof Pat Utomi, Emir Lamido Sanusi, Ms Arunma Oteh etc. These are some Nigerians who know our economy like the palm of their hands, these are the people we need.
Things are getting out of hand already, Nigerians are suffering…please shed this needless pride and invite people who can help us.